St. Joan of Arc School located in Boca Raton, FL is searching for a full time Bookkeeper.
The Diocese provides excellent working conditions with competitive compensation in order to attract and retain an outstanding workforce. The Diocese of Palm Beach offers a competitive benefits package to employee’s working 30 or more hours per work week consisting of comprehensive medical, vision, dental, LTD, group life insurance, optional life insurance. The Diocese also provides a 403(b)-retirement plan to all employees. Information on our benefits and retirement programs can be found here.
General Position Summary: The bookkeeper must have a solid background in accounting and generally accepted accounting principles. The bookkeeper will be responsible for the billing of customers including tuition, fees, and other ad hoc expenses, processing of customer receipts, account management and debt collection, payment of supplier bills, processing of employee payroll including the completion of payroll ledgers and bi-weekly reporting, bank reconciliations and generation of monthly reports. The bookkeeper needs to be an effective communicator and be able to provide specific financial advice to the Principal.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide accurate and timely bookkeeping, payroll and financial reporting for the school on an accrual basis per Diocesan Policies and Procedures including Office of Catholic School procedures.
- Prepare journal entries and maintain general ledger accounts in compliance with Diocese of Palm Beach policies ensuring appropriate account identification and coding is taking place in accordance with the Diocesan School Chart of Accounts
- Prepare bank reconciliations including SFT and any other investment accounts
- Account receivable and reconciliation of AR Aging with GL account balance
- Account payable and reconciliation of AP Aging with GL account balance
- Process credit card payments for tuition, fees, donations and Capital Campaign pledges
- Keep all accounts receivable accounts up to date using various methods (phone, letters, email, etc.)
- Inform the Principal quarterly, prior to report card distribution, of payables and receivables.
- Must be knowledgeable about or willing to learn the Step Up for Students process and maintain family Sage 50 and FACTS Financial accounts.
- Must be knowledgeable about or willing to learn the VPK program and manage all financial accounts.
- Maintain budget in Sage 50 to produce actual vs. budget reports
- Responsible for payroll and PTO accrual kept on all employees and coordination with Diocese Payroll Department
- Ensure Compliance with all State and government filings, to include complete and accurate 1099, W-2 and unclaimed property filings while maintaining complete documentation of all efforts that can be readily assessed and viewed by other staff.
- Prepare, submit and review monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements for Pastor, Principal, and Finance Council with supporting reports including Statement of Financial Position supporting documents and others as needed
- Meet with the Principal on a regular basis keeping her updated on all accounts and areas of interest and/or concern.
- Meet with the Church bookkeeper on a regular basis to ensure shared expenses and intracompany transactions are appropriately identified and posted and in balance with the church
- Meet with the Pastor monthly to keep him updated on the schools financial standing and review YTD income and expenses compared to budget
- Assist Principal in preparation of annual budget
- Participate in the annual Scholarship review and allocation of funds received from the Diocese and private scholarship donors
- Attend Finance Council and other committee meetings appropriate to the position
- Attend school functions as requested by the Principal and/or Pastor, particularly those where financial transactions will take place
- Submit quarterly Financial Statements, and other various reports, to Diocese of Palm Beach Finance Department.
- Prepare all supporting information for the triennial AUP and annual State of Florida Step Up Scholarship audit and liaise with the Pastor, Principal and the external auditors as necessary.
- Review Insurance invoices from Diocese for Property and Liability Insurance, and Health Trust.
- Assist with HR responsibilities as they relate to finance/payroll.
- Working with the diocese to ensure vendors are in compliance with all COIs and W9s requirements and assist the school in helping vendors meet compliance standards.
- Work with the Pastor and Principal to strategically plan and support the school’s short- and long-term goals.
- Support the mission of Catholic education.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting preferred. However, some college or post high school vocational tech school credits in accounting with equivalent business experience (3 + years) are acceptable.
- 5 + years of financial leadership in accounting including accounts receivable, accounts payable, payroll, general journal entries, general ledge analysis, and financial statement comparative reporting and budgeting.
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite, including Word, Excel, Outlook, and Internet.
- SAGE 50 experience a plus.
- Ability to work independently, make responsible judgment calls and multi-task with emphasis on meeting tight deadlines. Excellent analytical skills and problem-solving capabilities.
- Attention to detail and able to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Must be reliable and able to work effectively with Diocesan employees, department heads, representatives of other agencies and the general public.
- Excellent and professional telephone manners and interpersonal skills.
- Adhere to the Diocese of Palm Beach Code of Conduct with emphasis on confidentiality, consistently exercise discretion and good business judgement.
- Job may require lifting of objects that exceed 25 pounds, with frequent lifting and/or carrying of objects - stooping and kneeling may also be required.
- Frequent use of both hands and fingers (i.e., typing)
- Frequent extended periods of sitting.
- Occasional periods of standing, kneeling, climbing.
- Occasional time working closely with others.
- Employee will be exposed to visual display terminal for prolonged periods.
The above is intended to describe the general context of and requirements for this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities, or requirements.
To apply, download and complete the Employment Application and submit along with your resume, salary requirements and list of references to the attention of Gretchen Wood, Human Resources Coordinator.
Via US Mail: Diocese of Palm Beach
9995 North Military Trail
Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33410-9650
Via Fax: (561) 775-9575
Via Email: [email protected]