St. Vincent Ferrer Church located in Delray Beach, FL is searching for a full time Director of Finance.
The Diocese provides excellent working conditions with competitive compensation in order to attract and retain an outstanding workforce. The Diocese of Palm Beach offers a competitive benefits package to employee’s working 30 or more hours per work week consisting of comprehensive medical, vision, dental, LTD, group life insurance, optional life insurance. The Diocese also provides a 403(b)-retirement plan to all employees. Information on our benefits and retirement programs can be found here.
The Director of Finance Reports to the Parish Manager and will be responsible for maintaining accurate and timely accounting records for both the Church and School in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and all Diocesan requirements for such position. The Director of Finance will provide accurate and timely bookkeeping and financial reporting and other special reports, including development of budgets and any cash liquidity reporting as requested by the Pastor, Principal, Diocese, Finance Council, and Audit Firms. The position will be responsible for maintaining a financial bookkeeping system including payroll, AP, AR and cash receipts, balancing GL and subsidiary ledgers, reconciling bank statements, Diocesan payments, church obligations, and ministries, as required as well as oversight of student financial records and financial aid and scholarship applications, collection issues, and FACTS software issues. Responsible for Human Resource for the church and assistance for the school, including new hire/termination documentation in accordance with Diocesan policies and procedures.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The Director of Finance is responsible for all areas of the financial well-being of the church and school at St. Vincent Ferrer including, internal controls, but not limited to the following:
Payroll Processing for Church and School:
- Coordinate all payroll preparation and processing per Diocese Policy on Payroll with submission of appropriate reports to the DOPB payroll, Pastor and records for attachments to appropriate journal entry.
Banking and Reconciliations:
- Daily review of bank balances and account activity for reasonableness and assessment of liquidity needs.
- Reconcile and review all Diocesan SFT accounts, operating accounts for Church and School and any other bank or investment accounts.
- Manage Diocesan Loan activity for construction projects. Fund SFT accounts as necessary.
- Responsible for processing vendor payments in Sage 50 for all accounts, including auxiliary accounts in detail (ie: CCW,etc.).
- Monthly Diocesan Special Collections.
- Payments to Resident Clergy for Masses.
- Coordinate approval of School and Church vendor invoices.
- Miscellaneous other payments.
- Record all bank deposits for offertory per Diocesan guidelines and other items especially donations/contributions as needed. Ensure PDS system is also included when necessary as well as balancing this system with Sage 50 deposits, where applicable.
- Process credit card payments for donations and other appropriate receipts
Accounting Closing Process: (for Church and School)
- Review Statement of Activity and Statement of Financial Position balances monthly.
- Perform journal entries as needed.
- Create all entries for new building construction, if any, per Diocesan policies.
- Review and settle Inter-company transactions between Church and School.
- Review Insurance invoices from Diocese for Property and Liability Insurance, and Health Trust.
- Record SFT interest income and SFT loan expense.
- Generate and Review quarterly financial statements with Pastor, Principal, Parish Manager, Finance Councils and reporting to Diocese per policies.
School – Student Finance Records:
- Review complete set up of new families in FACTS system after school admissions function complete.
- Review setup of their tuition payment plan.
- Evaluate Tuition pricing for each family based on Parish and School discounts and policies and Scholarships.
- Review and Evaluate Financial Aid and Scholarship requests. Make recommendations and discuss with Principal.
- Oversee and facilitate all audit requests for annual State of Florida Step Up Scholarship audit.
Payroll/Human Resource Assistance:
- Administers parish salary and benefit policies as directed by the Pastor, Parish Manager and Diocesan reporting.
- Oversees school salary and contracts and benefit policies, new hire/termination and Diocesan reporting.
- Serve as an "ex officio" member of the Parish (church & school) Finance Council and as a parish contact with financial institutions.
- Serves as point of contact for all financial and internal control audits.
- Attend Finance Council, staff meetings and diocesan meetings as requested.
- Prepares collection bags and records parish revenue from all sources.
- Serves as a helpful resource to parish organizations in all financial matters from planning to auditing.
- Preparation of annual operating budget with assistance from Pastor and maintain budget in Sage 50 to produce actual vs. budget reports. Explain significant variances as necessary.
- Ensure compliance with all State and government filings, which includes the following but is not limited to complete and accurate W-9/1099/1096 filing, W-2/W3 filing by third party processor and W2G/945 filing and if necessary, form 5754, while maintaining complete documentation of all efforts that can be readily assessed and filed for easy access.
- Prepare all supporting information for the triennial AUP and liaise with the Parish Pastor and the external auditors as necessary.
- Document and maintain complete and accurate supporting information for all financial transactions matters for the church and school and appropriate filing per Diocesan record retention guide.
- Four-year degree accounting or finance and relevant experience in area of expertise required.
- Five-Years of relevant experience in finance/accounting, preferably with a non-profit organization.
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite, including Word, Excel, Outlook and Internet.
- SAGE 50 experience a plus.
- Demonstrated success supervising diverse personnel in a fair, just, and consistent manner.
- Strong commitment to collaboration and creative solutions.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully and efficiently delegate responsibilities to staff.
- Experience and familiarity with Catholic institutions, including parishes, schools, and the Diocese of Palm Beach is preferred.
- Strongly self-motivated and self-sufficient; can lead and perform effectively with minimal support.
- An unquestioned reputation for integrity and ethics.
- Excellent communication skills, with diplomacy and credibility across multiple internal and external channels.
- High level of self-awareness: unselfish, providing credit to others, and receding when appropriate.
- Ability to work independently, make responsible judgment calls and multi-task with emphasis on meeting tight deadlines. Excellent analytical skills and problem-solving capabilities.
- Attention to detail and able to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Must be reliable and have the ability to work effectively with Diocesan employees, departments heads, representatives of other agencies and the general public.
- Excellent and professional telephone manner and interpersonal skills.
- Adhere to the Diocese of Palm Beach Code of Conduct with emphasis on confidentiality, consistently exercise discretion and good business judgement.
- Occasional light lifting and carrying of under 15 pounds.
- Occasional moderate carrying and lifting of 15 - 44 pounds.
- Frequent use both hands and fingers (i.e. typing).
- Frequent extended periods of sitting.
- Occasional periods of standing, kneeling and climbing.
- Occasional ability of minimal hearing (i.e. loud noises, sirens) and routine hearing (i.e. listening to others in conversation).
- Occasional time spent working closely with others.
The above is intended to describe the general context of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements.
To apply, download and complete the Employment Application and submit along with your resume, salary requirements and list of references to the attention of Jenna Sheehan, Human Resources Administrative Assistant.
Via US Mail: Diocese of Palm Beach
9995 North Military Trail
Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33410-9650
Via Fax: (561) 775-9575
Via Email: [email protected]